Friday, October 23, 2015

My Homemade Makeup Remover Recipe




My eyes are gross. Okay. I should clarify - they're quite normal and lovely, I'm sure. However they have the potential to become quite disgusting under certain, allergic circumstances. Not just regular old itchy-watery-Allegra commercial allergic reactions either. I'm talking swollen corneas and gunk for days if the wrong thing gets in there and irritates my eyeballs. So I'm a little picky about eye makeup removers. Sometimes I use my daughter's sensitive skin baby wipes. But when I need a little more cleansing prowess from my routine this is what I use:

In a plastic bottle with a screw cap mix the following:
1 part water
1 part witch hazel
1 part almond oil or olive oil (I have even used vegetable oil in a pinch, but I do not recommend extra virgin olive oil unless you like smelling like a salad).

Cap bottle tightly and shake like the dickens!


PROS:
- Super-dee-duper cheap and easy to find ingredients.
- Very mild and hydrating, won't dry skin.
- You know what's in it. You made it. In a reusable container. Go you!

CONS:
- You'll have to shake this up every time you use it. Although if you make it a dance party, this could be a "PRO."
- The oil can stain fabric. But then again, so can the makeup you're taking off with it.

TIPS FOR A BETTER EXPERIENCE:
 - Use cotton balls/pads or a cloth you don't mind staining. The oil is a little too "robust" for tissues in my experience
- If you skin is on the oily side, cut back on the oil a bit. This can be a trial and error thing, so consider making a small test sample batch to start.
- For acne, try bumping up the witch hazel a bit while cutting the oil as for oily skin. You don't want to dry you self out, though, so again, trial and error.

No comments:

Post a Comment